Driver Scanner 2012 - Free Scan Now
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo

  1. #1
    Matt Sawyer Guest

    Default Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo

    I often find myself wishing that I could do two things with IE:

    1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them together
    into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce
    clutter in my taskbar.

    2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times I
    want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side), which I
    can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or some
    sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can navigate
    each separately.

    Would like to see these 2 things in IE9 when it comes out.


    ----------------
    This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
    Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/communities...plorer.general

  2. Sponsored Links



  3. #2
    Gordon Guest

    Default Re: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo


    "Matt Sawyer" <Matt Sawyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5B442B5B-9993-437A-BAB9-C6483CDE0832@microsoft.com...
    >
    > 2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times
    > I
    > want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side),
    > which I
    > can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or
    > some
    > sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can
    > navigate
    > each separately.


    You can do that now. Make sure the tab is active then do File-New Window.


  4. #3
    VanguardLH Guest

    Default Re: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo

    Matt Sawyer wrote:

    > I often find myself wishing that I could do two things with IE:
    >
    > 1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them together
    > into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce
    > clutter in my taskbar.


    I would think that would violate the whole point of loose coupling in IE8
    which is to protect separate instances of iexplore.exe by isolating the
    processes within each.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie-lcie.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx

    Some web browsers (not all) that provide for isolation between each session
    do so by starting a whole new process for it. IE doesn't do that and
    instead groups several tabs under one process so if one kills that process
    than not all of them get killed.

    > 2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times I
    > want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side), which I
    > can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or some
    > sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can navigate
    > each separately.
    >
    > Would like to see these 2 things in IE9 when it comes out.


    This is the wrong place to ask. There is a beta newsgroup for IE9 (which,
    as I recall, is still in a preview version that doesn't even qualify as a
    beta). Microsoft's Connect site (http://connect.microsoft.com/IE) is
    another place but I don't know if the IE board is still open for bug reports
    and requests for enhancements.

    > ----------------
    > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, ...


    A suggestion is not a question. Despite Microsoft's attempt to usurp
    Usenet, this is still a newsgroup.

    What is Usenet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
    http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
    http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

    When using a webnews-for-dummies interface (e.g., Microsoft's Communities,
    Google Groups, or a leech site using a forum-to-Usenet proxy), those are
    gateways to Usenet. Despite the pretense of a forum, you are participating
    in a newsgroup (aka Usenet).

    Posting suggestions here in hoping that Microsoft will see them is about as
    effective as pushing a disconnected crosswalk button.

  5. #4
    Matt Sawyer Guest

    Default Re: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new w



    "VanguardLH" wrote:

    > Matt Sawyer wrote:
    >
    > > 1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them together
    > > into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce
    > > clutter in my taskbar.

    >
    > I would think that would violate the whole point of loose coupling in IE8
    > which is to protect separate instances of iexplore.exe by isolating the
    > processes within each.
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie-lcie.aspx
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
    >
    > Some web browsers (not all) that provide for isolation between each session
    > do so by starting a whole new process for it. IE doesn't do that and
    > instead groups several tabs under one process so if one kills that process
    > than not all of them get killed.


    That just makes the solution easier. Since the tab (or set of tabs)
    runs in their own process separate from the framework, isn't it just a matter
    of tearing down the GUI in one instance, rebuilding it in the other, and
    transferring control of the tab process?

    I know that's an over-simplification (to say the least), but seems do-able.

    > Posting suggestions here in hoping that Microsoft will see them is about as
    > effective as pushing a disconnected crosswalk button.


    I just followed the instructions on the IE website, which said to post
    suggestions here. If they read it, great. If not, maybe one of their
    competitors will.


  6. #5
    Matt Sawyer Guest

    Default Re: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new w

    "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    > "Matt Sawyer" <Matt Sawyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:5B442B5B-9993-437A-BAB9-C6483CDE0832@microsoft.com...
    > >
    > > 2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times
    > > I
    > > want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side),
    > > which I
    > > can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or
    > > some
    > > sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can
    > > navigate
    > > each separately.

    >
    > You can do that now. Make sure the tab is active then do File-New Window.


    It didn't even dawn on me to try that. Thanks!


  7. #6
    Matt Sawyer Guest

    Default Re: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new w



    "Matt Sawyer" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >
    > > Matt Sawyer wrote:
    > >
    > > > 1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them together
    > > > into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce
    > > > clutter in my taskbar.

    > >
    > > I would think that would violate the whole point of loose coupling in IE8
    > > which is to protect separate instances of iexplore.exe by isolating the
    > > processes within each.
    > >
    > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-ie-lcie.aspx
    > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx
    > >
    > > Some web browsers (not all) that provide for isolation between each session
    > > do so by starting a whole new process for it. IE doesn't do that and
    > > instead groups several tabs under one process so if one kills that process
    > > than not all of them get killed.

    >
    > That just makes the solution easier. Since the tab (or set of tabs)
    > runs in their own process separate from the framework, isn't it just a matter
    > of tearing down the GUI in one instance, rebuilding it in the other, and
    > transferring control of the tab process?
    >
    > I know that's an over-simplification (to say the least), but seems do-able.


    Here's a little more thought on possible solutons...

    The tabs can already be dragged around to change the order in the tab bar.
    It would be cool if you could drag and drop a tab onto the desktop and that
    would cause it to move into a new window of its own. That would be much
    quicker and more user friendly I think than selecting the tab, choosing
    File->New Window, then going back and closing the tab.

    Similiarly, if you could drag and drop a tab from one IE window to another
    and have it move the tab that would be very cool. But there are lots of
    times when I end up with 3 or 4 IE windows each with one or 2 tabs that I
    just want to quickly merge all into one IE window, so a "merge all" type
    function would still be needed.


  8. #7
    Robert Aldwinckle Guest

    Default Re: Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo


    "Matt Sawyer" <Matt Sawyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5B442B5B-9993-437A-BAB9-C6483CDE0832@microsoft.com...
    > I often find myself wishing that I could do two things with IE:
    >
    > 1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them
    > together
    > into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce
    > clutter in my taskbar.



    Workaround: use a tab group in one. Alt-a,T Then switch to the other
    window and open the tab group. Ctrl-i Ctrl-Enter (assuming you name your
    new tab group so that it would then the first item in the Favorites bar.
    <w>)


    >
    > 2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times
    > I
    > want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side),
    > which I
    > can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or
    > some
    > sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can
    > navigate
    > each separately.



    That's Ctrl-N


    >
    > Would like to see these 2 things in IE9 when it comes out.



    Ctrl-N has been there since IE4. ; )


    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd March 2010, 18:50
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd March 2010, 04:50
  3. Please add ability to restore open tabs when IE crashes or shuts d
    By Hans Schulze in forum Internet Explorer
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th November 2009, 23:08

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Recommended Download



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47